Perform a Simple Xfinity® Signal Strength Test
If you’re experiencing slowdowns with your Xfinity® home connection or your Xfinity® WiFi hotspot, you should find out how strong the signal is and how many other WiFi networks are broadcasting on the same channel. NetSpot features two ways how to measure your WiFi signal strength: one quick and one detailed.
The quick method can be accessed by activating the Discover mode:
- Click on the Discover/Survey slider at the top of the main screen to highlight the Discover option.
- NetSpot will instantly create a concise report of all WiFi networks in your surrounding area, coupled with a lot of useful information such as the WiFi band, the average signal strength, the amount of noise, the encryption method, and more.
- Use the information to access the status of your WiFi connection.
With the Discover mode, you can find out how strong or weak your WiFi signal is to verify the cause of your sluggish internet speeds. If the signal is strong, you know that the problem is most likely elsewhere.
But if the signal is weak, you need to take some actions to fix it. For that, you’ll need more information, which is exactly what the Survey mode is for:
- Click on the Discover/Survey slider at the top of the main screen to highlight the Survey option.
- Upload a map of your area or draw one from scratch using NetSpot’s map-drawing tools.
- At the bottom of the Survey screen, use the heatmap popup menu to switch between several available heatmap visualizations.
- The Signal level heatmap visualization displays the WiFi signal strength throughout the surveyed area.
- The Signal-to-noise ratio visualization helps you pinpoints sources of signal noise and get rid of them. These often include home appliances, radio equipment, or lights.
- The Signal-to-interference ratio shows the interference from other wireless networks.
Once you’re done, you can use the gathered information to decide which areas should be strengthened using WiFi boosters and repeaters, and you can also determine whether it wouldn’t be beneficial to move your Xfinity® router elsewhere.
Give NetSpot a try and discover how easy it is to optimize your home WiFi network and improve your internet speeds. Even though NetSpot offers professional features, its approachable, modern user interface makes it suitable even for casual computer users.